Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Fresh Start

Edna St. Vincent Millay is the reason I began to seriously read poetry 5 years ago, and these poems/excerpts sum up why she is still my favorite. She puts all my thoughts into an AB rhyme scheme, when I can't even put them into coherent sentences.


"It's little I care what path I take,
And where it leads it's little I care;
But out of this house, lest my heart break,
I must go, and off somewhere.

It's little I know what's in my heart,
What's in my mind it's little I know,
But there's that in me must up and start,
And it's little I care where my feet go. "

from "Departure"



"The railroad track is miles away,
And the day is loud with voices speaking,
Yet there isn't a train goes by all day
But I hear its whistle shrieking.

All night there isn't a train goes by,
Though the night is still for sleep and dreaming,
But I see its cinders red on the sky,
And hear its engine steaming.

My heart is warm with friends I make,
And better friends I'll not be knowing;
Yet there isn't a train I'd rather take,
No matter where it's going"

from "Travel"



"I drank at every vine.
The last was like the first.
I came upon no wine
So wonderful as thirst.

I gnawed at every root.
I ate of every plant.
I came upon no fruit
So wonderful as want.

Feed the grape and bean
To the vintner and monger:
I will lie down lean
With my thirst and my hunger."

from "Feast"






In other news, I moved into my new apartment on the hill yesterday. I'm ecstatic to have my own room again, especially since it's made up of literally 95% bed. Seriously, my entire room is a giant temperpedic bed.. there is room for one dresser and barely any walking perimeter. It's glorious. I'm even happier to be living with Allie again, and less than a 5 minute walk from at least 5 other apartments filled with some of my closest friends - and we didn't even plan that! I'm nervous for school to start though because I can't get my brain to work or my body to wake up early, but I'm sure the routine will come naturally when it comes down to it.

I just hate routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment